Thursday, September 22, 2005

AAAAAAAUUUUGH!

That's better.

Having learned that Rita was going to strike right at us, I was feeling like it was the end of the world. CAT 5 hurricanes, of course, are no joke, and we have no illusions about how strong our house is or how snarled the traffic is (We live close to I-45, the main route of evacuation for Galveston). Even now, going to a shelter is our likeliest course of action, if the storm's course sticks close to us.

So there I was, feeling like the world was dropping on my head, like there was no escape. The news was going on about this being the Third-Worst Hurricane In The Atlantic Basin. I remember being terrified about the Absolute Worst, our old friend Gilbert when I was a kid.

Then suddenly, I realized it was still just Wednesday night, and this thing was going to make landfall early Saturday morning. I broke out laughing, relieved and embarrassed at how panicked I had become. I don't know what God has in store, but whatever happens, it's not going to do much good for me to fear a threat I'm not directly faced with. We'll see what we can do here to stay out of the way of the worst, most damaging effects of this storm, but I'm not going to curl up in the face of all this.

No comments: